- Don’t go to parties hungry, be sure to eat a small low-calorie snack ahead of time. Otherwise, you’ll overeat.
- Wear tight-fitting clothes around your waist so there isn’t room for expansion.
- Before and after a meal chew gum so you won’t be tempted to overindulge in appetizers and desserts.
- During a party, don’t stand right next to the food table, but keep a safe distance.
- Choose your plate wisely. Go with a small plate instead of a large dinner plate and don’t go back for seconds!
The holidays have arrived with all the high-calorie food and drinks of the season. It’s really no wonder why most of us gain weight during the next five weeks. Sweet temptations are everywhere. Holiday cookies, gingerbread houses, pumpkin pies, and more. Even healthy foods like sweet potatoes and green beans are somehow transformed into high-calorie dishes that will make you want to do nothing but fall asleep. And don’t forget the drinks. Eggnog and alcoholic beverages are loaded with calories. Want to fight these holiday pounds? #1) Remember the Reason for the Season Sure, the holidays bring indulgent foods and drinks, but friends, gatherings, and family traditions aren’t only about food. Before a party remind yourself what the holiday season is all about—friends, family, giving, and religious traditions. Then stay focused on the reason for the season rather than the plate full of hors d'oeuvres in front of you. Also, stay focused on your fat loss goals. Remind yourself of how far you’ve come and where you’re headed. Keep your goals in the forefront of your mind. A few bites of food aren’t worth hours on the treadmill. Remember that the holidays can be a time of emotional eating. For many people, the holidays bring stress, family conflict, or depression. If these issue start to wear down your will power then find the courage to address the root of your problems with solutions other than food or drink. #2) Implement Strategies If you want to keep your diet on track during this season of parties, you’ll need to pace yourself. Try the following strategies: